New to MISIN?
- E-mail and Bulk Loading Data Submission Protocols (Updated February 22, 2016)
- Volunteer Data Submission Protocols (Updated May 18, 2015)
- Field Data Collection Protocols (Updated May 19, 2016)
Report an Observation Online
- Located in the top right hand corner of the MISIN webpage you will see two spaces to type in your Username and Password or Register if you have not already done so.
- To register, click on Register (Free) and fill out the info required in the registration form.
- After completing the registration form, you will receive an automated welcome e-mail. This e-mail will display your username and password, along with a link. In order to activate your account, you must click on the link provided in the e-mail.
- When you click the link, your internet browser will open and take you directly to the “Welcome to MISIN” page where you will then log in with your username and password.
- Once logged in, click on “Report Sightings” at the top of the page.
- You will have the option to click on “STEP 2: Verify Species” box, which will allow you to complete training modules prior to reporting your sighting. If you are confident in your observation please click on “STEP 3: Report Sighting” box.
- On the reporting page for the observations location, you have the option to locate by search where you can type in the longitude and latitude or locate by map where you can click on the map provided (You must be zoomed in to level 15 or greater for the point to be accepted).
- First, select what type of information you are reporting, presence or absence data. Then, continue filling out the remaining information relating to the sighting and provide pictures, if available, for verification purposes. The symbol next to common name allows you to select a species by latin name instead of its common name. Also; Project, Common/Latin Name, Area and Density are searchable drop-down menus.
- After clicking the “Submit” button, you will be redirected to a summary page that tells you that the point was successfully added and provides the reporter with a record ID for easy reference. You will also be provided with a PDF link where you can download and print the summary page for your records.
Report an Observation Through the iPhone app
View iPhone App Instructions (Updated March 21, 2016)
Report an Observation Through the Android app
View Android App Instructions (Updated March 15, 2016)
Identify Invasive Species
- A Field Guide to Invasive Plants of Aquatic and Wetland Habitats for Michigan
- A Field Identification Guide to Invasive Plants in Michigan’s Natural Communities
- A Michigan Boater’s Guide To Selected Invasive Aquatic Plants
Control an Invasive Species
- Autumn olive (Elaeagnus umbellata)
- Black and Pale swallow-worts (V. nigrum / V. rossicum)
- Black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia)
- Common buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica)
- Glossy buckthorn (Frangula alnus
- Japanese barberry (Berberis thunbergii)
- Japanese knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum)
- Oriental bittersweet (Celastrus orbiculatus)
- Where can I get support?
- Will the MISIN app work without a 3G connection?
- Become a registered MISIN user?
- Is there an Android version?
- What version of Apple’s iOS should I be running?
- I downloaded the app, but keep getting error messages. What should I do?
Please use the Contact Form to submit general questions or report bugs. Our developers will respond to your issue as quickly as possible.
Yes, the MISIN app will work without a 3G connection. The observations are always stored locally on your phone. In the case of a lack of network connectivity – the app will disable the “Send Data” feature and notify you when you are reconnected to your cellular network.
Yes, you will need to register with the MISIN web site and use those credentials to log into the MISIN app before you can save and submit data.
Yes, the MISIN smartphone app is now available for android devices. The app was released October 23, 2013 and can be found in the Google Play store. Download it today, it’s free!
For iPhone users, we recommend having at least version 7.1
If for any reason you receive an error message, we suggest deleting the app and reinstalling from iTunes or Google Play. If the re-installation did not correct the problems, please use the Contact Form to report what issues you are having.